Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I Steal Therefore I Am...

Better!

Great teaching isn't about having the best ideas, or getting to it first.  Sometimes, great teaching is about "stealing"  (I quoted this because when I use stealing in this context, my 4-year-old reminds me that stealing is wrong; I don't want to dimish our character education in any way).

Today, I had the pleasure of doing walkthroughs at Sperreng.  While there, I saw some great strategies being implemented by our "partners in crime."  (Again, I want to be clear, that I'm not advocating that we become criminals ;)).

1.  Students were designing presentations synthesizing their understanding of history and its impact on life today.  As part of this presentation, they were using Google presentations and screen-cast-o-matic.

2.  Students write "I can" statements at the top of their notes to connect their objectives with their learning.  This serves as a great way to jog their memory about the importance of their learning.  BTW, I've seen our teachers use this method too...


3.  Students have performance assessments.  On this science test, students went to various stations around the room to complete tasks involving their content and skill knowledge.


3.  Student tests are connected to their learning goals.  Instead of numbering test questions in the traditional way (1, 2, 3, 4...), each question was aligned to the learning outcomes.  Again, it's another great way to make connections in student learning.


No comments:

Post a Comment