Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A plane is safe in its hanger, but that's not what a plane is for

It's coming up on February.  Know what that means?  It's time to "take a risk" month, a time to try new instructional practices.  Whether you are the type to ease out of the hanger, smoothly progressing down the runway or one to burst out ready for take-off, taking risks should be a part of your educational repetoire.  ASCD's "Education Update" shares that taking purposeful risks "elevates teacher innovation and student engagement."

Risk-taking is something we ask students to do each day, requiring them to try new things and explore new ideas.  As educators we must model this same "growth mindset," avoiding the pit of doing things because it's the way it's always been done and modeling that failure leads to reward and a sense of pride in our accomplishments.

I'm about to admit something here....I've failed a lot.  I won't list all my failures (some are huge, and some were "imperfect" outcomes), but here are a few from different points in my life:  1) I tried to jump off the slide when I was 3 and failed, breaking my ankle; 2)  I tried out for 3 cheerleading squads in high school before finally making one; 3) In college, I got cut from a lot of sororities during rush week; 3) I tried literature circles as a teacher and struggled to make them fit within my teaching style; 4) As an administrator, I've had too many fails to list...but each time, I learn to be a little better (I hope!).

Now, that I've shared the "True Confessions of Tara Sparks," I challenge you to consider your failures and appreciate them.  It's bouncing back from those failures that helps us realize that it's okay to take risks.  As we approach February, be ready to share some instructional risks you've taken, and please invite Mike and me in to witness them - risk-taking for the sake of student learning is the sign of a dedicated, innovative, and reflective teacher!

Here are some classroom learning examples to spark risk-taking ideas...


These students are taking a risk to figure out complex equations, with a high probability of error.


Using the new student response cards to engage students in content and dialogue is a risk.

Having 6th graders create babies (based on a set of traits when studying genes) is a risk.

Looking at technology in a new light is a risk - this student is reading on his iPod. (Okay, he might be risking his eyes!)


Using interdisciplinary skills shows a risk - kids in this modern language class solve math problems in their newly acquired language.

Giving students time to evaluate their own learning is a risk, one that creates a growth mindset.
I encourage you to look through this blog to find fresh ideas that inspire you to take a risk!  Keep in mind that your risk is unique to you - push yourself outside of your comfort zone, try something new, and as long as it has a purpose for learning, I applaud your growth mindset!

No comments:

Post a Comment