Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Building an Inclusive Environment

We wouldn't think twice about making sure all students are engaged in our curricular content, but are we putting the same effort into Flyertime? 

Ask yourself:
Do I allow kids to exclude themselves from Flyertime activites?
Do I allow some students to take over while other sit back and let them?
Do I allow students to avoid participating in class discussion?

Some suggestions for a more inclusive Flyertime:
Arrange your seating so that all students are included (see the pic below).
When doing project-based assignments, ensure that every student has a role.  I've seen many great examples of this with the MAP videos!
Have fun - even if it means dressing as a gorilla (see pic below - Don't ask me, I just work here ;)).





No comments:

Post a Comment